Surrounded personal technological devices, also the home is getting smarter . Can be programmed on heating, irrigation, lights, raising and lowering the blinds … Small big changes that make our life a little more comfortable . But how home automation was born and what its beginnings in Spain? What exactly? We tell you …
The automation from the Latin domus (home) – is the set of automated systems of housing that provide energy management services, security, welfare and communication , and can be integrated by means of internal and external communication networks.
Entering the 90s , the parallel development of three major branches : telecommunications, information technology and electronics technology makes conventional buildings add multiple improvements, while smart homes are becoming a reality.
The origins of automation in Spain can be placed around 1990, the date on which they begin to carry out the first initiatives and research, mainly by the Institut Cerdà.
At first investigations they were limited to issues such as comfort and safety , and in isolated cases the management of communications and energy . In the following years they were opened the views of their applications, standardizing the use of home automation devices in housing construction.
The current market is characterized by the following features:
- Creation of new companies dedicated to the manufacture and installation of automated systems.
- Progress in standardization and certification of certain products and facilities.
- Innovation and development . Home automation is a sector in full development: new applications, new systems, new facilities … increasingly sophisticated and almost surprising advances.
Although the introduction of automation in Spain has been slow due to the conception of ‘high – tech’ and high price, gradually standardized and democratized in many aspects . Comfort and easy handling of most devices and home automation systems are its main strengths.
What is home automation at the technical level?
We talk about innovative and intuitive technology that enables energy – efficient way to manage the various traditional household equipment and facilities that form a housing (heating, household electric, lighting …). The user sets intuitive, centralized and efficient way you want your home to be automated.
How to run a home automation system is based on three main components :
- Sensor : the device that monitors the environment in order to generate action . If the sensor is autonomous, ie not connected to a home automation network, you can perform an action on / off by itself. If you are on a network, you can send a signal to a device acting accordingly. If we have a control center, it can handle decide what to do based on the signal sent by the sensor. As an example, sensors may be present, light, temperature, wind, humidity, smoke, water, gas …
- Actuator : is responsible for executing an action . It is the output device capable of receiving a command from the controller and perform on / off action, up / down, etc. The sensors discussed above that are capable of executing an action, they are actually also actuators.
- Controller : is the control center to manage all the home automation system from a single device . You do not need a control center, but allow us programming devices and flexibility in the use of home automation. They can be simple devices with a few buttons to small consoles with touch screen with a menu of options for controlling devices currently or via smartphone or tablet itself.
In short, the user and housing communicating , and doing so with minimum wiring, flexibly and integrating conventional facilities services and new technologies , allowing their connection and interaction between them.
These are the three types of interconnection in which plants are classified technology ladder:
- Central hardwired : all sensors and actuators are wired to the central, which is the master controller of the system. This usually has a battery backup so that in case of failure of the power supply, the system will not stop working.
- Wireless stations : in this case use batteries or battery – powered wireless sensors and transmit information via radio to the central events, which is powered by mains electricity and has its battery backup.
- Mixed plants : combined wiring and wireless.
What are the benefits of home automation?
- energy savings through intelligent management of consumption.
- Personal and property security.
- Remote management via telephone, internet facilities … and household equipment.
- Increased welfare and comfort.
Given these bases of home automation it is easier to understand its heyday. A sector that is continually researching, promoting innovation and development of new systems and applications to make life easier for people.
And now, Tell us , ¿aprovecháis home automation in your homes? What would you like to install systems in your home?
Finally, you know that Todoelectronica.com have a wide range of GSM controls, remote, modular controls … If you have doubts, ask us without obligation.
You may be interested in this article on X10 Home Automation .